rhymeswithazalea said: I've been playing hockey for years and Check Please literally nails the entire game and its culture. How do you write it all so accurately if you've never played? I also play goalie and would love to see a main character between the pipes!
Not only have I never played, I skate like a newborn giraffe and have literally held a hockey stick in my hand once!
And I’m from Texas.
I’ll probably do a FAQ/write-up on the creation of Check,Please!, but long story short, I did 3-months of hockey research my senior year of college in order to write my first screenplay Hardy, a story about a really butch hockey player named Chris Einhardt who falls for his best friend and former teammate. It has intellectual gems like:
…Yeah. Not really. But I mean,
everyone has like fucking random
thoughts. Okay, say you have like
a million thoughts in a year, so
maybe like 400 thousand are about
girls and stuff, and maybe 400
thousand are about hockey, and
maybe 1 of them has to be randomly
about a guy. Completely randomly.
But that thought may not even be a
full thought anyway. And you don’t
act on that, because, hey. That’s
pretty fucking gay. But there’s a
line. Now, gay guys—your friend?
Shit. Like 500, 600 thousand thoughts a
year about cocks and stuff.
Six hundred thousand.
Ehhh, give or take a cock.
For the writing of that screenplay I interviewed hockey players at Yale (one of whom plays in the AHL!) and roommates of hockey players, talked to the hockey beat reporter for the newspaper, interviewed girls who dated hockey players, watched every single documentary about hockey ever, checked out books from the library about hockey, hit up JSTOR for scholarly articles on hockey culture, watched Miracle/Goon/Slapshot and took notes during hockey games.
Believe you me, I was paranoid about stepping into this completely foreign culture and making some horrible faux pas. But the upside of the excessive research is that I had all this leftover hockey know-how when I completed the screenplay…
which I used to create Check,Please!
★Reblogs help spread the comic!!!★
Oh my god. Y’all need to start reading the college hockey comic omgcheckplease.
From the comic’s About page:
Check, Please! is written and drawn by Ngozi Ukazu.
Eric Bittle—former Georgia junior figure skating champion, vlogger extraordinaire, and amateur pâtissier—is starting his freshman year playing hockey at the prestigious Samwell University in Samwell, Massachusetts. And it’s basically nothing like co-ed club hockey back in the South. For one?
It’s a story about hockey and friendship and bros and trying to find yourself during the best 4 years of your life.
And if you’re like, “ehhhh but idgaf about hockey” OMG SAME ME TOO. But the comic is freaking great. It centers around these five college hockey teammates, but they’re such great different personalities and THE FRIENDSHIP OH MAN THE FRIENDSHIP. IT IS BEYOND HOCKEY. I just powered through the entire story so far and all the extras, it’s such a great ‘verse.
Reasons to start reading Check, Please!:
- Bitty, our protagonist, is a cutie fluffy bunny muffin from Georgia and he loves baking and he used to be a figure skater and he’s also a damn good hockey player too MAN HE’S SO ADORABLE
- there’s team captain Broods McBrooderson Jack and he’s every bit the stiff-jawed straight man/giant dorky loser to all the hilarity going on that you’d expect and also he is Canadian with a great ass and we’re all patiently waiting for him to become super BFFs with Bitty or maybe kiss him a lot either/or/all of the above is cool, y’know, dat chemistry is off the charts
- Ransom and Holster are hilarious bros and such great BFFs and supportive of Bitty & Co in such a bro way
- and of course Shitty is just awesome
- did I mention that Bitty is queer because he is (did I mention that his buddies dgaf because they are awesome)
- COLLEGE LIIIIIIIIIIFE. For real, the artist goes all in with details about this fictional college world it is great and it feels so real.
- Shout-out out to Shitty for being such a fuckin’ Northeast college boy. Also Stop N Shop. CAN YOU TELL I WENT TO COLLEGE IN THE NORTHEAST BUT DIDN’T ACTUALLY GROW UP THERE
- background character goalie who occasionally breaks the fourth wall and is getting replaced by a new goalie who is freaking adorable and from MY NECK OF THE WOODS SHARKBAIT OOH-HA-HA (sure his name is Chowder but I call him Sharkbait and I’m assuming he’s from my neck of the woods because do die-hard fans of the San Jose Sharks even exist if you don’t live here WE DON’T EVEN GET SNOW)
- it’s setting up for a 4-year college schedule so the characters will actually age and graduate and I’m scared to see them leave but
love to watch ‘em goam grateful for the realism
- the art is awesome go click on one of these fifty billion links and look at the blog because I ain’t reposting none of that awesomeness
- DID YOU NOTICE NONE OF THESE LINKS ARE EVEN FROM THE MAIN COMIC THERE ARE EXTRAS GALORE AND IT IS GLORIOUS
WHY ARE YOU STILL STARING AT ME LIKE I’M A RAVING LUNATIC LEAVE THIS HOT MESS OF A POST ALREADY AND GO CHECK OUT CHECK, PLEASE!
Really kind, ready-to-go recs in case you’re trying to explain to your friends what Check,Please! is!
★Reblogs help spread the comic!!!★